Yellow tang looking washed out

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by jackerma, Jun 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jackerma

jackerma Bristle Worm

I just replaced a yellow tang I lost during a power outage two weeks ago. It looked good in the store and for a while when I brought it home. I did clean my powerheads with vinegar after I put it in but rinsed everything off good before inserting and running again. It looks kind of washed out though on the lower part. Almost like a whitish color. Is this normal? Any advice appreciated. Did cleaning the powerheads possibly have any effect? Thanks for any opinions.

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I think it may just need a better varied diet.

I doubt the cleaning of the powerheads did anything to affect the fish.

Do you feed the tang nori or other vegetable matter?

4. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

Yeah, almost 100% not the vinegar. I actually dose it to my tank with my kalkwasser in higher concentrations then you would see from a failure to rinse and all the fish are still colorful.
    Probably just needs a good mixture of diet. Is he lookin a lil skinny?

5. jackerma

jackerma Bristle Worm

I have only had the fish about 10 hours at the time of the original post. It was eating as soon as I put it in the tank. I feed algae sheets and mysis shrimp. All other fish are colorful. The body appears to be ok as well.

6. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

Was he bleached out when you got him? If not it sounds like he is just stressing out then. Keep an eye on him and watch for the next day or two for the color to return.

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Fish can change color depending on their diet and stress levels. It may, as suggested, just be stressed out from being transported.

8. Click Here!

9. jackerma

jackerma Bristle Worm

No i made sure to pick out the colorful one. (waited a week for new shipment) I just monitor it over the next couple of days. Thanks for the help everyone!