Yellow Tang is showing redish markings

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by lissa, Nov 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lissa

lissa Astrea Snail

All my levels are correct, nitrate 2/3 is at 0, ammonia 0, ph 7.4, salt is at 1.020, and temp 80.9.

Water is cloudy, water change last weekend...
    What could be causing the redish flare-up?

Tank has been running for 4 yrs. now.

Size 50 gal. with Tang, and two Tomatoe Clowns.

Please advise...is this a concern ?
    :eek:

2. Click Here!

3. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

your pH is crazy low, use a buffer to pick it back upto 8.2-8.4 range

4. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

well from looking at what you have written your ph is really low, has it always been that low? also salinity is a little low which is fine unless you lowered it too quickly to that point. i know ph stability is more important but a ph that low really needs to be slowly raised to atleast 7.8 with 8.0-8.3 being ideal....other levels seem fine but has anything had a large swing, salinity/alk/ph etc

1 person likes this.
  5. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

had a yellow tang i gave to a buddy who thought it was a good idea to put a fresh water filter on a salt water tank, lowerd the pH to 7.3 and killed the YT in a matter of hours.

6. lissa

lissa Astrea Snail

My mistake..the PH 7.8

Please suggest on how to get up to 8.2

7. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

8. Click Here!

9. brunoboarder244

whew thats good to hear....7.8 isnt terrible as long as it is stable but bumping it a little higher would be ideal.....the simplest way to raise ph is by making your water more oxygenated which can be done in a few ways, like having better surface agitation for better oxygen exchange...usually done by aiming a powerhead toward surface/also could use an air stone/or add plants to your sump or fuge....another way is by dosing a buffer in or if you dose kalwasser or something similar it should also raise your ph a bit

10. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

7.8 should be fine as long is its always stable. But I would still suggest bringing it up to above 8.0. Have you also tested your KH, if so, what was the reading? Im guessing somewhere around 5-6 based on your other test results. If so, the redness is most likely hemorrhaging which shows as the redness. Get the ph and kh up to optimal levels, and that should solve the problem.

and what are you using to test your salinity? a hydrometer or a refractometer?

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

7.8 should be fine. It is usually a sign of stress though, although, I'm not sure what the stressor is from your description. Why is your s.g. at 1.020 though? The ocean runs 1.026ish, although fish can handle it, I'm not aware of any reason to run at 1.020. Bringing it up will bring up all your other parameters with it, as they are all directly proportional to s.g. I'd start there personally.

12. brunoboarder244

the lower the sg the lower the odss pf problems with parasites although this isnt hyper salinity it may be somewhat of a deterant someone else chime in and correct me if im wrong