yellow tang intimidating royal gramma

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by John Alston, Feb 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. John Alston

John Alston Astrea Snail

last night i moved my royal gramma to my dt. it had been in qt for 4 weeks. my yellow tang is being most intimidating. the RG spends all hhis time well hidden in a cave. the YT is actually roaming the tank (65 gal) looking for him and when he spots him, the YT tries to get to the rg in the cave. will the YT settle down after a while. i know RGs tend to timid and do hide in caves for most part. but at this rate the YT will be stressing him to death. does anyone have similar experince and what was the outcome?

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

shut off the lights, might calm down the yt. royal grammas, basslets and dottybacks can get agressive too, so give it few days. how big is the yt?

1 person likes this.
  4. John Alston

John Alston Astrea Snail

thanks bogie. i just did turn the lights out but i put him in the tank last night after the lights went out. the yt is about 3 1/2 inches total overall.

5. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

My Yellow Tang in my 90 always puts an impressive display on for new fish. He puffs his fins up all the way and is intimidating for up to a couple days. Sometimes it escalates to some chasing around, but it usually goes away after the Tang is done being threatened and has established that he is king of the tank.

1 person likes this.
  6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

+1 My Yellow does the same8)

1 person likes this.
  7. John Alston

John Alston Astrea Snail

thanks folks, much appreciated. already the royal gramma is coming further out in the tank and teh yt seems to have a memory lapse!