Yellow Tang HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jayfan, May 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jayfan

jayfan Plankton

Recently one of my mature yellow tangs has been acting wacky. One morning I went to feed them and I noticed that one was just hanging out at the top on my tank, not swimming, not eating, and barely moving.... but he IS alive. It has no obvious illness...such as ick, red spots, popeye etc.... he's been doing this now for about a week and half..... and still has not moved from that spot. Any ideas??????? Thanks!!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Is it within a minute or two of the lights turning on?

4. jayfan

jayfan Plankton

no....it's ALL the time....he just doesn't move!

5. jayfan

jayfan Plankton

so I tested my water this morning....here is what I have.

temp- 78
    salinity- .022
    ph- 7.8
    nitrate- 10
    nitrite- 0
    ammonia .25 (a little high)

I know some of you are going to pick on my Nitrate level....but I've NEVER been able to get that to read a 0....EVER! lol! And I do frequent water changes, with RO water etc.....

The other tang and the trigger are doing fine.....and they've never fought, as I've had them for about a year and a half. It does seem like it scared or maybe just getting old????? Both my tangs are big....about 4" I'd say. Any ideas?????

Attached Files:

6. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

First of al...thats Not a yellow tang...Its a type of angel..i think its called a Lemon Angel or something.

7. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

Actually it could be a tang but the snout is hidden and the fins are closed in.
    ammonia should be 0 in a n established tank. do you have live rock? how old is your tank?
    fish at the surface usually indicates oxygen problems. even it is just one.
    this happened to me before in a fresh water tank, the biggest fish, or most oxygen consuming, will go to the top first.

8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

that is a tang . and was thinkin of it being oxygen deprived. what type of circulation do you have? and do you have good surface agitation?

10. majik44

majik44 Plankton

when is the last time you did a water change do a 10 percent water change with good ro water see if that helps

11. jayfan

jayfan Plankton

It is a yellow tang....that much I do know! I have 2 Korlia moving the water pretty good... how do I get surface agitation....should I adjust he Korlia's?????

12. divott

divott Giant Squid

yes, try and get one pointed at the surface to get it rippling. that will help getting oxygen into the water. and may help the tang out.

you also mentioned it was 1 of your tangs , how many do you have and what size tank?