Yellow Tang Dominating

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Guest, Sep 17, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

My yellow tang is nibbling on my newly purchased lawnmower blenny and is swating at my porcupine puffer. He has been in the tank the longest almost 3 months.

The puffer has been very dormint in my tank where at the LFS he was very active. He also frequently puffs up which looks cool but I know is stressing him out.

The problem that I am facing is that my Girlfriend is in love with this fish and is brought to tears when I told her I might need to take it back. This fish used to be very docile and shy when it was first put into the tank but has become very territorial and aggressive as time goes by. I would like to "reset" this fish to how it was when it was first introduced to the tank and any suggestions would be great.

Info about the tank:
    50G w/ 15G sump and 10G Refugium. DIY Protien skimmer, 2x 55w PC lighting, 100lbs of LR, 40lbs LS, UV sterilizer (5W), mag 7 return pump and rio (200gph PH). for current. coil denitrator.

am=0
    nitrites=0
    nitrates=0

weekly 7% water change with RO/DI Water

Inhabitants(in order of entry): Snails, Hermit Crabs, Yellow Tang, Porcupine Puffer, 1 bulb anemone, Pair True Percula, Lawnmower blenny.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah yellows are one of the most aggressive.
    You can try to 'reset' by moving your rocks around to reestablish territories.

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Or controll alt delete if it gets real bad :)

Since your porc will eventually eat your snails/hermits, I'd get rid of the lawnmower and the porc. or trade the yellow in for a smaller one.

5. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Gresham, don't you think that we should learn from our mistakes and not repeat them.

WRX, I would probably get rid of the yellow tang and look for something less aggressive.

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Huh? Trading it in for a smaller one would stop the aggression, and allow for the fish mix he wants, hows that making the same mistake? Its possiable it may get aggressive later, but I doubt it. The usually get pissed when something new is added, and stay that way for a while. I don't follow your logic that it was a mistake in the 1st place, more like a gamble as many (more then less) it works.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

just an update...

I tried moving the rocks around a few days ago.. and that just made him more territorial...

I tried ctrl+alt+del but all I got was the task manager :)

I have never had any problems with yellow tangs before and like I said my Girlfriend is attached to this fish...

I was able to talk to one of the guys at the LFS into a direct trade for another yellow tang... I added him to the tank earlier today and so far so good..

FYI the puffer does not bother the hermit crabs or snails he tried a few times when I first added him but he gave up. He is very docile and sits in the corner or under a rock and doesn't bother any thing... He is the biggest fish in the tank and is bullied by all of the other fish..

Thanks for your input and I look forward to helping or recieving help in the future.

-skooter

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Nice to hear your porc is so docile, I love those guys.

10. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Wow, my yellow tang is the biggest chicken in the tank. I can hardly even look at it without it swimming into hiding. I would sure love a porcupine puffer, but I gave that dream up when I started falling for coral. Now there is this darn squamosa clam I bought yesterday ;D

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Hey skooter, welcome. Feel free to join as a member as there is no cost and you get discounts from some of our awesome vendors!

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Adding Tangs last is always a good move. Glad the trade has worked out so far. Keep us updated. ANd I second the offer to join 3reef. ;) :)