yellow tail aggression towards two ocellaris clowns

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by GuitarMan89, Jun 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I cycled my tank using a yellow tail damsel, I now have just added two ocellaris clown fish. I have just put them in about a half hour ago and after 5 min. I saw the yellow tail being aggressive towards the two clowns. He didn't bite them but did dart at them. I have turned the light outs and only have the moon lights on now and the two clowns seem to be better right now. The damsel is off to his sleeping place under the hob filter. My question is from your experience, will the aggression lessen over the next couple of days or will it not let up? If it won't let up, what are any tricks to catching the yellow tail, he is really fast and quick? I would rather trade him in then the two clowns. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

ohh yeah those fish are bast###s, mean fish. I would get him out or add fish at night or something.

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I would add something that will eat the little fishy! oh wait that wont work because the clowns are small too!

Seriously, he will be that way with most anything you add, so if your going to keep him than get used to it. If you can remove him from the tank without to much trouble the do it.

He might give it up but chances are he wont. can you rearrange it so he cant sleep in his usual place or change the tank around enough to make it look unfamiliar to it? That might upset him enough where he will leave them alone. you can try and use a fish trap, there are plans here on 3reef and elsewhere..

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

thanks for you responses, I have removed him, it actually wasn't as hard as i thought it would be. I turned the lights out and he went to his usual sleeping place, i put the net behind him and coaxed him into it, he is now in the quarantine tank. I think I may have to return him to the lfs for something else. I am sad that it may have to come to this, i really liked him and had hoped that he wouldn't be aggressive, but I like the clowns more. lesson learned.

6. ImprovMaster

ImprovMaster Astrea Snail

yea im having the same problem.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

My yellow tail darts at fish too but it's never physically attacked them. That's not to say that yours wouldn't have eventually but I've never had aggression issues with yellow tailed damsels besides an ocassional chasing away from its territory.

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I have one in my 20 long along with a pair of ocellaris clowns and a small firefish. He has been in there since I set up the tank and I have no issues either. He is a real good bluffer, gets all puffy and stuff but has never physically (at least that I know) attacked anyone.

The black domino in my 10G another story entirely! he attacks even the feather caulerpa (Caulerpa sertularioides) thats is in that tank if he doesn't like the looks of it. I have come home to piles find of it floating in the corners of the tank, like he mowed the lawn, LOL. I have even seen him go after the emerald crab that I have in that tank and he is huge, at least compared to the damsel right now. But my wife wanted him so I bought it.

10. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

No need - keep him in the qt for a week then when you add him back to the main display he'll be a pussy cat

11. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Good example as to why I don't and wouldn't used Damsels or any other fish for cycling a tank...SInce they are the first fish, they would rule the tank. I wouldn't even risk putting him back in, once he is use to the tank he will more then likely start to play bully in the tank. Must my 2 cents...

12. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

I had the same problem with my domino I took him out of the tank for 2 weeks put him back and now everyone bosses him around. My coral beauty loves to kick his butt back in line whenever he even starts to look aggressive.