Yellow SPS

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Atticus818, Mar 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

I have been looking for a truly yellow piece of SPS. However, I cannot find anything.

http://reefbuilders.com/files/2008/09/yellow-mont-7-06.jpg

Check this link out to see what I mean. I realize there are a lot of coral marketed and sold as yellows, but they show more green than anything.

Anyone have a clue where to find something like this?

2. Click Here!

3. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I have this...

[​IMG]

Its more yellow than the picture would lead you to believe. I can take a better pic tomorrow if you wish. There's an acro crab in there too lol.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

most true yellow SPS need ULNV tanks and pretty solid light levels. My yellow tenius has gone a little bit green but still pretty yellow. Ill try to get you a pic. Watch the Reefpet auctions he has some stuff on there and the colors are almost always a perfect match, even through shipping.

5. Atticus818

Great looking colony. Id love more photos. Thanks.

ULNV? Ultra low nutrient? SPS that is yellow, going green is usually caused by excess Iron in the water. The trouble is just sourcing something that is truly yellow. I picked up a collectors "Yellow Milli" and the piece is stunning, but absolutely not yellow.

You can see it here: [​IMG]

EDIT: I also realize that the bulbs tint the water quite blue, making it harder to get a good representation of color. You can see how white the light is in the original ReefBuilders link and that makes a huge difference, however, even under natural sunlight this piece in particular stays green. Only stating this to re-enforce the notion that stuff is often sold as "Yellow" but ends up being a variant of that.

6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Alright i will take some more tomorrow. I will warn you it is being choked out by some brown macro that has exploded all over my tank. I am getting ready to try and rid it with some peroxide treatments and dips and what not just gotta get the uninterrupted time to do it.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I've always experienced yellow acros anyway turn green with a little bit of phosphates. Iron might do it too. I like yellow and purple sps because I can use the yellow to know when to replace my GFO and purple when things are getting dangerous.

8. Click Here!

9. Atticus818

Haha, check this out: You might enjoy it:)

Guide of SPS coral coloration (make them more vivid, bright)

EDIT: Good call on RP. I ended up bidding on 8 things. LOL

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Truly yellow sticks are hard to come by. There are some yellow millis floating around out there; I believe WT has a few.

A yellow porites is possible. There's also some yellow Pavona out there; I know Jason Fox has one.