Yellow polyps

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by wayne334, Sep 29, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wayne334

wayne334 Astrea Snail

All of a sudden, my yellow polyps are atrofying! Pumping xenia and other corals doing fine! :-/ What's happening? Calcium is fine, etc. etc. They have shrunk to nothing and they were beautiful like trees waving in the breeze! I guess it's too late for help now? Wayne

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

i will assume you mean atrophying, well...maybe they are getting ready to broadcast spawn...not really sure could be alot...maybe a worm got to them and ate them...maybe a snail (dont some eat zoos?) wait a while and see what happens if u see new colonies growing in the tank then u will know that its good :)...

Good luck

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Do you occasionally feed them meaty foods? Like, mysis shrimp or cyclopeeze? That should help if the water quality is not the problem ;)

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yellow polyps are one of the few softies that need to be fed. Have you been feeding them?

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

LOL Birdlady. Great minds think alike.

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

8. Click Here!

9. Save_the_Reef

Save_the_Reef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

:( . I have fed mine like 2 times in probably 6 months. Darn things multiply like rabbits.

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

They are not azooxanthellae but they get a LOT less than most softies from photosynthesis. If you are not directly feeding them and they are reproducing like rabbits, my guess would be that you are feeding too much food to your tank. They are colonial which definately makes things easier because they can share nutrients. However, without direct feeding by me occassionally, they would definately decline in my softy tank.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I agree with everyone else on the food with sun coral.
    I really don't recommend these corals to people like me who hardly feed your tank.
    I used to have a nice specimen in my invincible 30 gallon and eventually it declined while everything else thrived.

Where is yours in relation to your aquarium light?
    I've noticed, contrary to their name, these corals actually prefer indirect light and shade.

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hmm. sun coral. It was my impression we were talking about yellow polyps...these

[​IMG][/IMG]

Is this actually what we are discussing? Or did you mean sun coral? :-/