Yellow Polyps! They have to go.

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by reefnJeff, Jun 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I have 2 rocks that have 2 and the other about 4 polyps on it, they have to go! I have let it go for to long now. The rock with the nosy perculas I think I can use AptasiaX, will it kill them? and the other rock there is the 2, the other Corals are to close to use AptasiaX, not sure how to get rid of them being in the middle of 2 different types of Corals. I also got another issuse on the rock that my yellow polyps are suppose to be on, I found their is Hidden Cup Coral hitchhikers on that rock that I am sure in time will they be chocked out by the YP, got to figure out how I can get those away from the YP's, thats going to be tricky. i'll post a picc of that issue later, perhaps someone will have a great idea.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. reefnJeff

Ok! here is the other issue, circled is the Hidden Cup Coral hitchhiker which I want to keep, my only thought is to take my trusty hacksaw and try to cut off that branch, maybe even at the price of killing a yellow polyp or 2, but I don't want to lose the HCC, that thing is small, but very pretty.

Attached Files:

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Ones mans trash, anothers treasure?

I got YP frags in a trade, that are multiplying well.
    It's part of my tanks floura. I keep them isolated on one major rock, and I'll keep them.
    I have plenty of real estate (room in the DT) though.

They make up one of my 25 different types of corals.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Not sure how, but people pay 10 bucks for a frag of those at a time. Tray to remove them from the rock, place them on a covered dish with some rubble and allow them to attach. Give them to the LFS and help propagate the hobby. :)

6. reefnJeff

If I let them go unchecked they surely will use up a lot of realestate, i plan to keep the colony on the rock their suppose to be on, but the other 2 rocks I got plans and it does not include the YP. So I still need to remove the portion of the rock the HCC is on, that smaller rock I would like to cut in half also to seperate the GP and the other unknown polyps.

7. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

Why do you want to get rid of the yellow polyps? I love mine.

8. Click Here!

9. reefnJeff

I don't want to get rid of them completely, just off 2 rocks thats home to other Corals, cus I have them on 3 rocks, 1 rock is enough for me.

10. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Thing about yellow polyps is that they'll detach themselves and float until they find a new hold. What I do is using a pair of tweezers, grab em as close to the rock as possible and gently peal them off. I know I know this kills them but when attached to a main rock there's little other choice. I've cleaned many a spaces via this method.

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think you can cot the rock as you plan with no issue. I think aiptasia-x will work against them also since it does in any coral it can smother.