Yellow legged hermits eating all my Cynobacteria!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by asking4trouble, Jun 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. asking4trouble

asking4trouble Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hey guys, I got 10 hermit grabs delivered online. They have yellow tips on the end of their legs. Does anyone know the common name or scientific name for them?

because....

these guys have almost totally eaten my red cyno bacteria within a week. I still have a little cyno left but 7 days ago we were talking about thick red slabs of the stuff all over the place.

I reduced feeding the tank to once a day (still too much i know but from 2/3 a day - yes i lurvvv to watch them eat :-[) and introduced the 10 hermit crabs (55 Gal tank). Seven days later its like magic!!!!!

YAY for a reef WIN! I really needed a tank high after two tank lows in a row - cyno and ich. Thank you reef gods for sending me these little yellow legged hermits, not even my puffer is touching them. Is this were u tell me the hermits will morph into mantis shrimp after they've eaten the cyno? 0_0 (lolz)

I had always read that hardly anything eats cyno?? so whats the deal with these hermits?? what are they called?? Im so happy with them right now, do u think it would be illegal to marry one??

2. Click Here!

3. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I'm not sure about the names of those hermits...I just have blue leg hermits in my tank. But when I read your title, I was like, "Wait...is that a bad thing???" You made it seem like you wanted them to stop and that it was an emergency :D

Congrats on the successful CUC. We've had amazing performance from banded Trochus snails. Forget chemicals and advanced filtration to get rid of algae. God had it right from the get-go, just use live critters and you're golden.

4. asking4trouble

asking4trouble Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

hehehe.... well... what i didn't mention was that ive been passing the cyno off to my non reefing friends as coralline - bahahaha am i bad? they would ask whats the red stuff and rather than say bacteria i would say "thats corraline algae, isnt it pretty?"

Now i'll have to pretend to be annoyed that my hermits are eating my 'pretty corraline' hehehehehe3reefhehehehe

5. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

wow...you threw in a 3reef in your "hehehehe's" That's intense :D We actually have some pink coralline in places...and maroon...it's kinda cool.

6. FirstOverboard

FirstOverboard Plankton

Where are the photos

where are the photos man??!!!! and where did you get them from?