yellow film on sides of mixed bucket?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by hydrojeff, Dec 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

hey all, when i went to do my water change last night i seen a yellow film on the sides of the bucket is this normal and should i have rinsed the film back into the water or just leave it and rinse it down the drain.

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

You got me on this one - a dry bucket? could someone in the house have used the bucket for something else? I'd use another bucket - or give this one a bleach bath.

Or are we talking still water from previous changes that grew slime? rinse wipe out and use if that's case.

4. hydrojeff

no its just for mixing salt water and i mix 50 gallons at a time and this was 25 gallons left over from my last mix.

5. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Interesting. I think i would be tempted to test the water and see if the bucket was leeching phosphates - not sure why it would be yellow. In the least I would rinse the bucket and not use the water - better safe than sorry.

6. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

What brand of salt mix are you using?

I read a post here a while back that said IO Reef Crystals (what I use) could leave a film on your mix bucket due to some of the impurities used in the making of the salt mix.

I have seen this in my buckets after a let my saltwater sit for a week or so waiting to do a water change .... I don't worry about it and I have never had any problems.

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

People were saying it was happening with DD H2O and tropic marine as well.... so it's not IO specific.

IO said it was perfectly safe.

8. Click Here!

9. hydrojeff

yes i use reef crystals,i stirred the bucket and all the stuff on the sides and the water was cloudie for about 30 mins and then cleared right up. thanks for yalls input.

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's just clay. They are not using food grade ingredients. If they made salts the way we would like, none of us could afford it. LOL

11. hydrojeff

sweet, it was a clay color too...

12. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Hmmm....never seen anything like this before. Atleast I know what it is when I do see it!