Yellow Eye Tang help.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Claic Yuzolt, Oct 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

So I happened a long a very tiny yellow eye tang at Petco and decided to try him in my 30 gallon tank. Yes I know the tang police are going to kill me etc. But he is barely and inch and thought I could keep him for at least half a year or so if not even that.

Anyway, as most of you know I have had 2 black percs and a royal gramma. Well that all are extremely afraid of him. I mean anytime he comes near they run and one almost jumps out of the water.

Why is this happening? Is he aggressive or are they just afraid of him? He doesn't nip at them at all but if he is close my Gramma runs under his rock/home, the clown jumps into my BTA, and the other clown runs to her home. What is up?

Again, I know I cannot keep him for very long but just wanted to see what it was like to have a tang.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

my yellow eye kole tang was very shy

4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Mainly its a new fish to them, stranger per say in our ways of looking at it. obviously you know that. Does the tang Raise its dorsal fin at all when near the fish? That is displaying aggression/ I'm boss to the other fish in the tank.

1 person likes this.
  5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Tang Police, Tang Police!!! Haha, kidding.. I agree with Red, it's something new to them, kinda like going home and having someone dropped from the sky into your room, awkward. In time they will get used to each other. My Gramma still darts back to her cave every so often & she's been in the tank for a year. My Clowns also jet to their BTA's. Just keep an eye, but I'm sure things will settle.

1 person likes this.
  6. Claic Yuzolt

Here is a video of the best interaction I could get without scaring the tang away. He was just dropped in like 10 minutes ago and is all over the tank! The blurriness is from me having to keep moving to try and get him to come out.

I can't tell if he raises his fin there at the end or not.

YouTube - New Yellow Eyed Cole Tang- Aggressive?

1 person likes this.
  7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Definitely not aggressive. If only all tangs were that "aggressive." LOL no he looks very pleasant.

He is skinny though - get that boy eating!!

8. Click Here!

9. Claic Yuzolt

Thanks! I did throw some food in the see if I could get the others too come out and they all ate some brine shrimp but anytime he would come after a piece near them they would run!!!

Have you ever had this problem kc?

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

They are just nervous because he's new and pretty big to them. Once they get used to him they will be back to normal! It might take a few days. :)

11. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Because of bristletooths mouths, they are hard to get eating quite a few of prepared foods. It isnt impossible. But when they are quite small it is quite difficult for them to eat. Majority of their food when young should be liverock to graze on. My chevron never ate prepared food till like 3 months later in the tank.

As for aggression, I would say not very at all. Just probably them going HEY new fish run!! lol

1 person likes this.
  12. Claic Yuzolt

Oh great! No no, this tang ate a bunch of that brine I mixed up. He ate more than the clowns and gramma but that is probably due to them running half of the time! lol

Yeah this is the first time I am adding a fish other than an anthais or gramma so I wasn't used to the clowns freaking out at all. Gave me a scare!