Yellow Coris wrasse...reef safe?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by chef & toast, Nov 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chef & toast

chef & toast Astrea Snail

i was wondrering if this little guy is reef safe. my lfs told me no, but they also have 2 in with their zoanthid polyps. also the same guy at the lfs said that my diadema {sp?} basselet was reef safe and convinced me to get either it or a 6 line wrasse for my 29 gallon reef. i went with the basselet and i am returning him tomorrow because of the damage he did to my bicolor blenny that i just bought today {which again, i was told would be fine with the basselet}......help please!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

One thing I have learned over the years is that many LFS employees are not as knowledgeable as they would have you believe....

Also, no generalizations can be made when it comes to "reef safe." Every tank and its environment is unique and what may work in one may not work in another. All it takes is adding that next fish or coral to change the balance of any tank.

4. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

i have a yellow coris wrasse in my reef tank he's fine with the reef only ever see him pick at the rocks, never the corals

that said some people suggest they are not reef safe
    personally ive never had any trouble with them doing any damage to anything

5. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

they are cool reef fish!!! love the colour ;D

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

We've got one in our tank and it doesn't pick on any of the corals.

7. pstroh

pstroh Plankton

I have one in my 125g reef tank. He is great, he sleeps in, in the morning then comes out and hangs with the crowd. He does not nip at the corals at all.

8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I think the halichoeres genus are sometimes listed as non-reef-safe because they might eat feather dusters and maybe some small shrimp or inverts.
    Also pet-peeve of mine, it's not a really a coris, I hate whoever named it that. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

100% spot on. Many species of halichoeres will eat feather dusters, and that is what makes them to be listed as not reef safe.

IMHO, the fact that the halichoeres wrasses eat flatworms makes them excellent reef citizens, and will never allow flatworms to take over a tank.

Yes, the yellow coris wrasse is not a coris wrasse at all, that is one of my biggest pet peeves as well:) True Coris wrasses are far from reef safe.

Other halichoeres wrasses are radiant wrasses, neon wrasses, christmas wrasses, melanurus wrasses, and a few others.