Yellow and Black Clownfish?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by banthonyb71, Jan 30, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I have seen Yellow and Black clowns before but never a Percula or Ocellaris. and I've never seen a clown fish with bands of yellow as oppose to Yellow mouths and Yellow fins such as the Amphiprion Clarkii.

In this video starting at around the 18:52 mark, I see 2 black with yellow band clown fish. Does anyone know this breed?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=o9-DVqa_GQE&x-yt-cl=84503534

I've only found 1 similiar picture browsing the web. but even this is specimen is different as its yellow bands are outlined in white. but either way I would like to know if these are indeed breeded species.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Monstaman717

Monstaman717 Flamingo Tongue

Maybe a goldstrip maroon and black ocellaris mix? But I am not sure just a thought

4. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

your probably right, or maybe because of the lighting it is yellow on maroon but just looks more black than it actually is?

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

The ends of the fins on the one in the anem looked more maroon. I am guessing the lighting is making them look black, but it is just a theory.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+1 Golden striped maroon clowns can be very dark in color making them look almost black.Some are darker then others.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    DSC reef likes this.
  7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

My gold band maroon clown was bright maroon when I got her years back. After spending time in her nem and as she matured she got extremely dark in color. With the night light on she looked black and the white outline of her gold bands would glow. It was really neat to see in person. My phone camera could never pick up that effect though. The fish in that picture is just a gold band maroon clown.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

They can also loose there stripes once mature.Heres some shots of Homey.His stripes began to disappear around the 5 year mark.He was 15 in these shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I WANT ONE!!:D

11. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

So the one in the video....particularly the small one is a dark Maroon clown too?

12. Vinnyboombatz

Yes.They can be very grumpy fish so be carefull.They can and will also inflict a serious wound on you(not to mention scare the crap out of you) so putting your hands in the tank can be dangerous.(this of course occurred over many years of captivity when he/she was no longer afraid of my hand)Especially if you dare touch,move, or breathe on, there selected host.I loved Homey but he was a handfull at times.Tankmates need to be chosen wisely ime.
    That picture is apparently saturated and with all the editing that can be done who knows if thats what the actual fish looks like in person.I would venture to say.No.lol
    They change a great deal as they age.