YEAH!! successful flatworm eradication!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by sailorguy, May 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

So my tank was infested with flatworms and I was a little scared to use flatworm exit for fear of killing my fish which I've had for a long time.Since I needed to do a water change anyway I decided to go for it.Here's what I did. 1)Prepared water for a 25% water change.2)Added recomended dose of flatworm exit to tank.3)Siphoned off enough water to fill small bucket and removed heavily infested xenia and paly colonies placing them in bucket.4)Cleaned cannister filter and added a full pound of fresh carbon.5) At this point about an hour had passed and I could see alot some dead flatworms in the water column as well as the bucket containing the xenia and palys so I went ahead and completed my water change.6)Placed xenia and palys back in display tank,there were about a hundred dead worms in the bottom of the bucket.About 48 hours has passed and all is well with no sign of flatworms.;D

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Good for you. Salifert has a good product there !

Fresh carbon after you get the system running again is key. Water change a solid idea !

Very glad you resolved your issue.

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Congrats, buddy! I also had a problem with flatworms, although mine was a small one. I've been siphoning them out consistently every day, at pretty alarming numbers. First it was 5 or 6, then 15 or 20 then finally more than 30 at a time, so I decided to "go for it" as well.

I just used the same product yesterday, but had to add more today since I found a few survivors. Keep an eye out for any flatworms that may have been left in your sump or in rock crevices. If you find any, re-treat the tank and go 50% more of the suggested dose, but keep the water change handy and the carbon ready. I think this product works very well. Just like Crimson Ghost said on the thread I posted about it, "you really need to nearly double the recommended dosage before it works…..but it does work well."
    My fish and cope-pods are all doing very well and have not seen anything strange going on in my tank, other than there's no sight of flat worms now.

I'm happy with the product and highly recommend it as well.

- Mag.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I haven't had a flatworm in years but I know how frustrating it can be when you have them. Glad to hear that you're rid of the pestilence! :)

I honestly don't understand why people are so afraid to use this product. I've never had a problem with it. As long as you follow the instructions on the package, you should have no problems.

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Exactly right,I think it's the idea of the dead worms being toxic that scares people along with the precautionary steps reccomended in the instructions which is why I thought it would be a good thing to post a success story.Thanks for reading,Dave

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Sailor - I thank you for posting your experiance, but I would also like to say....I have never heard anyone ever post of an unsuccessful Salifert Flat Worm Exit experience. The product is safe, tried and true.

The only thing is that the instructions err on the side of caution and you generally need to dose more than recommended. I am glad you did it and are pleased.