Yay or Nay: Fiji Mud - Refugium Booster

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by FaceOfDeceit, Sep 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I have been eyeing this product for a while. I have seen both reviews, good and neutral. No one has bashed the product, but some say they did not notice any change. I figure for $20, worth a shot. Anyone here with experience, please post your thoughts.

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

you can use clay kitty litter from walmart and acive the same result for 98 cents, I am using it as a base in my refuge now and it works well.

couldnt see paying that kind of money for mud :p lol

1 person likes this.
  4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

It was something I considered for myself Andy, and ultimately voted no. I saw no hard evidence it actually made a difference, however as you know it's rather pricey and it's something you have to replace over time. Just seemed a bit like a useless expense the more people I spoke with.

5. FaceOfDeceit

Well I have a DSB in my fuge right now (no water in it yet...Saturday!). This is Fiji Mud - Refugium Booster...not Miracle Mud. Miracle Mud is VERY expensive. Just making sure everyone is thinking of the same stuff. This "degrades" and you have to add like 12oz every 6 months...Miracle Mud you have to replace over 50% every few months, and disturbing a DSB is like Russian Roulette!

Side note...my tank is fully plumbed as of 72 seconds ago! :p

6. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

congrates on getting it plumed ;D

I think in the long run they are the same thing lol both are clay based i think.

I have a DSB in my fuge to but I Wont replace the mud once it get depleated just add more sand.

I vote to save the money

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Grats! I know there are some people who swear by stuff like this. I don't know, im too cheap to buy it and i do not trust litter.

8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

Yeah, RC, I appreciate your input, but I'm not putting kitty litter in my tank. ;) I remember Matt going to that guys setup in Northern Cali...can't remember his name, but he does Miracle Mud type stuff, and sells it for like $50/lb or something crazy like that. However, I do remember Matt saying how nice all of his tanks (TONS OF TANKS) looked, fully natural filtration and all.

I'm doing full natural filtration on this tank...with a shot of vodka/day to keep those fishes happy. ;D

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I was thinking of that same tour. Its quite an investment.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  12. FaceOfDeceit

Bingo! I just PM'd Matt asking for this thread link. Do I PM him again with 'Nevermind'?

<-- 1400 Posts! I'm important!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012