Yay! My first controller!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by anpgp, Oct 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I just got the Reef Keeper Lite controller for my b-day!!! I got the basic setup, the one with the single power strip, base unit, and temp probe. Now I just have to wait to get back to my place and set it up. I've already started looking at all of the expansions I could get for it. I actually do have some questions regarding those. Does anyone know what the difference is between PC1 expansion socket and the regular expansion socket and why, or why not, it would be better to get one of those as opposed to just getting another power bar?
    PC1 Expansion Socket
    Expansion Socket
    PC4 Power Bar

2. Click Here!

3. thedog12

thedog12 Astrea Snail

congratulations on the new controller. I am not too familiar with the reef keeper sorry, but i am sure someone on here will be able to help you out.

4. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Congrats and happy b-day..the pc1 is for high power items,like a chiller or multiple halide ballast..but most people can get away with using the pc4..just remember the RKL can only have 4 modules max..like 2 pc4's sl1 alc. Etc..if you have some issues setting it up check out there site,some good ideas for set up times etc...enjoy..

1 person likes this.
  5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Ok, thanks. So I could do something like 3 pc4s and the sl1 or 2 pc4s, the sl1, and the network module? Also, if I decide to go with the sl1 then I can put that at the end of the "chain" and plug in a temp probe, pH probe, orp probe, and float switch all into the sl1?

1 person likes this.
  6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Yes you can add all those things into the sl1 as long as that's what is on the module(I forget which has which). I am not sure if you can use the net module with the lite version though. I too have the reef keeper lite and it is a great intro controller and they also have the upgrade where you can trade in you rkl for credit towards an elite if you want down the road. When you first start setting it up it seems a little weird the way you program it but once you get the hang of it its easy. Their forums are a great resource for help with programming also and they are fairly quick with the help.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  7. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Yip that's how I have mine set up.but mine does not have the net module and I'm using the itemp not the temp probe..so I still have one more module space free..

8. Click Here!

9. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

All of the above was spot on so K+. You can use the net module now with the RKL though. So your scenario would be fine. PC4, PC4 SL1 (Temp, pH, ORP, SWA, and SWB) and net module.

10. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Yeah itemp probe doesn't count as a module. I had 2 pc4 sl2 and the moonlight originally but now just one pc4 and an sl2...oh and itemp with

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Oh that's good to know about the net module. When I bought mine they were talking about it but it seems to have taken quite a while to implement it.

12. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for the help guys!