YAY just ordered my Overflow kit :)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by leighton1245, Feb 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

So as soon as i get my kit in i will be making a DIY post on how i did it. Its my first tank to drill so other then go slow any other pointers?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

You got an overflow kit?

congrats, what type kit did you get

Steve

4. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Congrats...1st make sure its not tempered glass.
    2nd good and sharp glass hole saw bit.
    3rd use some plumbers putty to form a ring around the area you will be making the hole so you can pour some water in the middle to help with lubrication/temp..
    4th light pressure let the bit do the work..
    Bam you will have a DIY hole for you overflow..:),,ood luck and post some pics when your done..

5. leighton1245

I ordered the 1500gph from glass-holes.com and they had a return line kit also cause im just going to drill that while im drilling :) and i already got the okay if i crack this one to get the tank i "REALLY Want" ;D;D

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

In that case can I suggest using a sledge hammer instead of a hole saw? ;D

When you drill make sure you have something below the hole you are drilling so when the hole falls it doesn't crack the other side.

7. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Haha. Then "accidently" crack it when your finished, lol. JK post some pics when your done.

8. Click Here!

9. leighton1245

Thank you for the tips. My tank is already up and running with coral in it so the putty thing wont really work but im going ot put tape on the back and have someone use a squirt bottle while i drill. Will deff post pictures and video if i can. I will be drill a total of four holes two that go to the sump which a 1 1/2" bulkhead will fit and two for the return from the sump i think those are a 1" bulkhead.

10. leighton1245

Like tape?

lmao a sledge would deff make a nice little crack.

11. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Yeah tape will keep. I drilled my old mantis tank with some water and the sand bed still in the tank. With the help of a friend, I, carried the tank outside, used a garden hose to supply a steady stream of water over the hole saw, and held a towel on the inside of the tank to keep glass shards, fresh water, and the glass hole out of the tank.

This was only on a 10 gal though so it was very easy to move even 1/3 full of water.

12. leighton1245

I received my glass-holes overflow kit today super fast shipping and I must say that its amazing quality. I also recieved my sump return kits. The best part is there was candy in the shipping box!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about the terrible pictures there from my phone.