Yay for me!!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Jim522, Sep 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

So as some of you know my little 20gal crashed a couple weeks ago.
    So i've been looking around and thinking about setting up a 55 once I have a little money saved up.
    Well I was at a party last night and overheard somebody talking about somebody they know throwing away a 75! Well I jumped in the middle of that conversation and am very pleased to announce that this 75 will be on it's way to my house in the next several days. I haven't seen the tank myself but from several reliable sources have told me it is in very good condition, used as a freshwater tank but the owner is upgrading to a larger tank and has no use for this one.
    So when the tank arrives I will be off to home depot or lowes to build the stand and canopy and will start a new build thread. So I have a couple of questions...
    As far as I know the tank is not drilled with an overflow. Is drilling a 75 an option or would I have to go with an overflow box? How does everybody feel about overflow boxes? I already have a 20gal fuge set up, although I may try to find a 20L to use instead. They seem like they have more usable space. Maybe I can grow some mangroves...
    I have about 40lbs of rock between my dt and fuge. I would like to use this rock, but because I do not know what caused my tank to crash, should I dry the rock out before putting it in the 75?
    I will be on a very tight budget setting this tank up. I know a skimmer isn't something that should be skimped on. Any suggestions on a decent skimmer that I may be able to find a good deal on? I will be looking on cl and ebay, but any recommendations on brands on sizes would help. I'm very excited and am ready to do some shopping!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. NEW REEFER

NEW REEFER Fire Worm

4. Russter

Russter Flamingo Tongue

Great find! You should try to find out if any medications (copper especially) were used in this tank. I would think you could drill it as long as you can confirm that the glass isn't tempered.

5. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

+1. I had a 75 and it was drilled.