Yay, a successful acan fragging!

Discussion in 'Frags' started by anpgp, Nov 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I'm always very nervous when it comes to coral fragging. The thought of taking a razor blade, or in this case a dremel, to a coral is a little off putting to say the least. I'm just starting to get into fragging right now. All I've ever done is my kenya tree and clove polyps and all that involved was an exacto knife. Well I took a step and successfully fragged my acan two days ago. All it took was a dremel and a reinforced circular cutting blade. I located the polyps to be fragged, make cuts around them down to the rock and about 1/16" to 1/8" into the rock. Then I took the dremel and cut underneath the section until it lifted right off. Gave it a little rinse then glued it down onto a piece of rubble rock. Two days later and it looks like this:

[​IMG]

Here's the mother colony:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

Dude very awesome. +K for it.

Maybe next time you could make a video of it so I can learn!

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Well done congrats

5. montalvos6

montalvos6 Astrea Snail

Wow! Nice. A close in video would be nice for next time.

6. Hiltonc57

Hiltonc57 Fire Worm

awesome job! im hoping i can do it someday too, i only have 7 heads and would like atleast 15 to frag it. +k

7. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Ok, I'll do a video next time a frag it. Yeah, Hiltonc57, waiting until it gets bigger will be better. Then it will be spreading faster so the time it will take for it to recover and grow new polyps will be faster.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Good job. Looks very healthy.

:)

10. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

How many month it takes to grow a colony like this from a frag? My red Lords popping 2-4 polyps a month, but green ones don't.

11. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I feed mine a lot, more than most people from what I hear. I feed each polyp around 3 times a week. I've been seeing almost an entire new row of polyps around the whole perimeter of the colony about once every 1-2 months now. As they get larger the growth starts to speed up since there are more polyps reproducing. Not sure why you're seeing a difference between the different colored colonies. Are they in different flow and lighting areas?

12. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

I feed mine 3-4 times a week too, they placed couple of inches away from each other. Red guys popping heads around a lot, but green guys just keep growing larger. The biggest 1 is 2" now. I have them for only 3 month. Ice caps and Mossy O.