y do u gotta change out builbs?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by macabe, Jun 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. macabe

macabe Purple Spiny Lobster

how come if the bulb is still on and works y woad anywon take it out and buy a new one?

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Hi Macabe, you change the bulbs because the light spectrum breaks down and no longer delivers the same light that it use to. This can lead to an algae outbreak and your corals not doing well.

After 12 months bulbs lose 50% of their brightness. MH's will have a psectrum shift to the cooler side and that's why you can get an algae outbreak. I change mu bulbs every 6 months like clockwork - that ends up costing me $1,200 a year.....I keep looking at the LED's and waiting for a nice big unit to come on the market - 11 year's on the same bulbs just might be worth the investment ;-)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

How many tanks do you have?

1 person likes this.
  5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yes.. agreed with above and also most bulbs are at about 80% after only 3 months then they level off or slowly decline over a year. Typical is 8 hours a day.
    So to get the max of your bulbs it's best to have a PAR meter because every bulb loses output at different rates. Some people change bulbs when the PAR gets to a certain point.
    Cheers.

6. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

ok... I admit I am a spelling and grammar FREAK.

Macabe: the word you're spelling "woad" is spelled WOULD.

Anywon? Spelled Anyone.

Stay in school :)

... I think the bulb question has been answered above. Suffice to say there are 2 kinds of "light" that are in play: light you can see by, and "PAR", or Photosynthetically Active Radiation that is mixed in with as well as outside the visible spectrum. The PAR value will decline more than is visible.

-Doug

7. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

Hi macabe! If I remember, your bulbs in your main tank are still new so you'll have time before you need to replace them. Since you do your research so well, you'll probably be able to find bulbs later online and can order them. Your fuge bulb, if you got the one from Home Depot, will be easier to replace in about three months, because they don't cost that much. If you're still cycling, you don't need to run your lights yet so you can save them that way. Good luck!!