Xenia's run amok.

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by omard, Aug 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Now know why people call them weeds. They grow faster than anything else in tank.

The clump on right in pic, is cutting that is only a couple of weeks old.

They sprout quickly from the base of any I cut off. Guess I need to do a better job of scraping them completely off. --- but then any pieces that get loose sprout somewhere else.

[​IMG]

Pretty to look at, and it hurts to prune and toss...would give away to anyone wanting any, but expect I am not only one with this problem. :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

I purchased some xenia the other day and was told it grows like a weed.Omard, you should sell it to the LFS.

As ive never physically fragged coral before ,ive been told that xenia is one of the easiest to frag?

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Can't sell them to LFS, he is full up with them (someone else in neighborhood is having same problem).

Easy to frag? --- unbelievably easy...just put some rock around base of xenia, and it will hop right over and start growing new stalks. Then just cut it from mother bunch.

Like a beanstalk really, always stretching itself out for new place to attach.

Is what I am doing now. Controlling where it grows to, then whacking it off. Unfortunatly, if no one comes by to get it, it goes in garbage.

Already have clump in nano - but does not grow as fast because of less light.

And fast growing?...you can almost watch it. :-/

5. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

I think I got the non-weed variety. It doesn't grow nearly as quick as I've read about anybody elses!

Oh well...More space for me :p
    ...and now I've jinxed myself....its going to be covering the tank when I get home :(

6. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

I wish I had had that problem with my xenia. It shriveled and died on me. My Kenya tree coral, however, is dropping "limbs" and spreading all over my tank. Can't get the LFS to buy any of it though...so if anyone's in the CT area and wants to stop on by, feel free to come get some!

7. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Omard what xenia is it. Is it white or pink? I heard that they grow towards the flow in your tank. maybe you can control it like that. I have the Hawaiian pink kind and it doing good but hasn't attached to my rocks yet.

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

the problem is'nt so much that it grows so much as trying to get rid of it.some fish stores have so much that they won't take it.sometimes people have so much that their forced to throw it away.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I have a local pet shop that is always trading with me for the Xenia jungle that I have accumulated...Awesome, for me as I have been able to trade my Xenia and other corals for my new 20000k halide bulbs!

11. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I hear ya

Hey Omard, I am having the same problem, I just haven't pruned them. At first I couldn't get the xenia happy, now I can't get it to stop splitting.

The first pic is when I got them, 3 little frags
    The 2nd pic is the latest pic of them, I think there is like 15 or more bushes of them.

Attached Files:

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

When you prune them, try to get all the base up also, or they just start sprouting from what is left. :p