Xenia.

Discussion in 'Frags' started by civiccars2003, Feb 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I have some pink pulsating Xenia. I want to remove a couple stalks from the rock and give it to another tank who is getting into this hobby. Question is how do I remove it. Can I use a razor blade and cut the stalk right off?

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

can you give him a pice of the rock? :) if not I have heard of people doimg this and someone may know more about it but ill bump it ;D

4. civiccars2003

I can, but don't want to. Ha. There are too many stalks on the rock its on. See picture.

Attached Files:

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

razor as close to the rock as possible....or just break off rock. pretty simple IMO

6. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

:):)Yes you can cut the small piece off, but be careful not to cut the "main colony". Give it to a friend it would be a good idea to put the small cut piece and place it in a glass along with live riock.(The glass is to keep the xenia from getting knocked off of the live rock) Hope i could help! There are also tutorials on youtube to help you!:):)

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Just use some sharp scissors and cut the stalk anywhere or peel it off the rock with a pair of tweezers. Tie the cutting to another rock or plug with some thread or fishing line, it'll attach in a week or so.

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

Last night I fragged the Xenia. I gave two stalks to my friend. He clams it died. Tells me it turned brown. I told him not to worry. Give it a couple days and see what happens.
    This isn't anything I should be concerned with, right. I read alot and even took the above advice and watched you tube videos.

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

when you frag it you should let it attach to a small piece of rock while its still in your tank. this way the xenia is less stressed buy different water quality's. i feel it gives it a better shot at survival

11. civiccars2003

I think you are right. This was my first frag, so I'm still learning. Thanks for the advice.

12. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

I was not aware you can peel it off the rock. I'm going to try this to avert my impending Xenia bloom across my tank! :D