xenia splitting

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by EPIC LOKI, May 27, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. EPIC LOKI

EPIC LOKI Astrea Snail

just thought this would be neat to share the xenia has been working on this for the past week or two now..:)
    pulsing xenia split.JPG

pulsing xenia split2.JPG

almost there.JPG

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Yep, they'll do that the minute they feel rock and an open space. The xenia that's moving will leave tissue behind and that'll become another colony.

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

After a while you'll be wondering on how to make them stop :)

Jim

5. EPIC LOKI

EPIC LOKI Astrea Snail

yea im sure this is a common thing for them but i thought it was pretty cool

6. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Get rid of it or kill it while you still can! JMHO. Superglue works wonders after you have cut off the stalk.
    I know it must be exciting having a coral split-but that SOB of a weed can take over a tank and keep coming. good luck!

7. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

They grow and slit so fast that I try to keep them in one area. There're so easy to fraging that my 8 and 10 yrs old daughter does it with my help and sell them to LFS for a very cheep price and they keep the money.

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Xenia are very fast growing but they can die just like that. My Xenia doesn't like my Colt coral near it as the polyps closest to the Colt are a different color, and are shriveling up and dying. I guess that is one way of controlling Xenia.

10. EPIC LOKI

EPIC LOKI Astrea Snail

yea i figured they would spread like wild fire but i still like em...i guess its like the dandelion of the ocean

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

The best way to control them spreading is having corals around them that wont allow them to spread.

coral_reefer is right, they might spread fast, but can die instantly too! I had one die because I shocked it through water changes.

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hmmm, mine never seem to die...infact some how a couple of colonies are growing at the to of the tank on the glass and if i forget to top off they are exposed to air...they always spring back.