Xenia scrubber?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by needmorecowbell, May 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. needmorecowbell

needmorecowbell Torch Coral

I've been thinking of putting a Xenia scrubber in my refugium. How could I optimize it? Should I use more than one type?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have thought about this and also, Kenya or Colt corals as scrubbers. Following.

4. needmorecowbell

I've heard gsp also. Im thinking I would rough up #7 mesh but not as much as I would for an algae scrubber. Maybe slanted instead of vertical to increase light exposure.

5. United417

United417 Bristle Worm

following as well. i know i have read that Xenia tend to do better if there are different populations of it. i don't remember where i read that tho unfortunately...

6. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

I must say that my nuisance algae has actually stopped growing lately. Only thing that changed? I added two hammers and a xenia frag and imagine this, the xenia has tripled in size in less than a month so I could totally agree it could work. You ever think maybe the most effective way would be to just frag up pieces and space them out evenly every couple inches in your fuge and as they grow just lob the tops off? Not sure how well it would work but in plants if you top them they grow outward more than upward. Essentially spread out and filter all the water passing through the fuge. I don't think a scrubber type setup would work. I would suspect they would have to be submerged to allow polyp extension for filter feeding. Even angry xenia closes.

Sounds good in theory. I am looking at doing a new set up over the next 6 months I may give it a try with it.

7. needmorecowbell

I'm sure it has to be in water, im just saying maybe have the rough surface be the mesh and keep it slanted in the water.

I think the more population thing was on garf, that's where I heard it.

I guess the best way to test this out is to try it.. I'll go first since I have a ton of Xenia. I might also have another softie come thursday so I'll add that to the mesh also. Just need to buy the mesh lol. Would rubber bands be the best way of tying it? Also, maybe have multiple units of mesh for easy propagation?

8. Click Here!

9. rglewis

rglewis Flamingo Tongue

ive never thought of a xenia scrubber.... very interesting. Im following as well. May try it myself this weekend.

10. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

What do you mean a "scrubber"

11. needmorecowbell

The basic sense of an algae scrubber,
    But tailored to coral. It absorbs nutrients in the water, much like an algae scrubber, but is nicer to look at, doesn't need to be cleaned weekly, and doesn't need all the requirements that algae scrubbers do (out of water, light on both sides, etc)

12. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I wonder how much you would need in a DT to make any noticable difference or if you would need so much it would overrun your tank