xenia/salinity

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by saltyfish922, Apr 1, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

OK...here's the deal. my Xenia was not looking good at all, so i checked my parameters pH 8.2, trates 0, trites 0, ammonia 0, salinity 1.026. did a top- off to bring salinity down a bit, and 2 of the 4 Xenia are looking like they are coming back. could the salinity have something to do with killing the other 2?

2. Click Here!

3. fishgirlheather

fishgirlheather Astrea Snail

I usually keep my salinity at 1.025 but when I forget to top off for more than one day it goes up to 1.026. This happened a few days ago and my Xenia quit pulsing. It is looking better today, but I think it had a negative effect on them. I hope your Xenia recovers.

4. TEPOZ_AZTLAN

TEPOZ_AZTLAN Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello i thought i'll pitch in, i got my xenia 3 weeks ago and my salinity is always been around 1.026. at first i thought I killed it when I place it in rock, it took about 4 days to recover from shock anyways now it triple it size and is pulsing like crazy love it . Just give it time how long have you have it, what supplements are you adding. in your tank. :)

5. TEPOZ_AZTLAN

TEPOZ_AZTLAN Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

here is a pic of it

Attached Files:

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I keep my salinity at 1.026 also and my xenia has done very well, also ;D

7. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

I was told that doing weekly water changes provides the supplements needed in a nano.(Reef Crystals) I do a 3 gal. change. Hairy mushrooms are showing "frilly" white stuff now and not opening up all the way. I have a little bit of cyano going on along with some hair algae.
    I feed DT's. The 2 xenia that have survived are still on the small side and have not pulsed for about a week now.

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

My Xenia seem to love amno-acid and trace product. I drip Reef Plus from Seachem in my make water and it always has them pumping.

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

yes the salinity matters lol...i was lazy and did not add top off water for like 4 weeks...SRY GUYS.....i had to go out and buy like 7 gals lol...well when i added it the lowered salinity made my guys not pump. how ever i bet that in a day or 2 they will come back...lol