xenia rotting?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Barbarossa, Jan 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Sea Dragon

Mine would stop pulsing whenever the PH dropped bellow 8.2 ish which it hasn't done in six months or so. I wasn't so much worried about how unhappy it looked. It was the enormous wound in the top of it and the cleaner shrimp happily shredding chunks off that had me wondering. That seemed to explain the unhappiness. Just to be safe, I will test the parameters again when I get home this afternoon.

2. Click Here!

3. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have also kept xenia and have noticed a melting look for myself. the polyps lost the bright pink color and turned kinda greyish and could no longer support its self. The two times my xenia colony showed signs of trouble were both soon after adding an alkalinity booster. I would check you DKH levels and maybe do a partial waterchange if you want it to thrive. I also lastnight nuked a rock with xenia because it was over running my 55g. best of luck

4. ShawnsTank

ShawnsTank Fire Worm

I had a cleaner shrimp go nuts, but instead of eating a coral he decided to kill my clown. He got vicious cause of a pH change but if your pH is good then idk what it could be

5. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Sea Dragon

Great. It will be interesting to see what happens now. I pulled the xenia from my tank because I was concerned about the chunks of it floating around in the water, so the cleaner won't go after it anymore. I am hesitant to blame the shrimp for the damage. It has never caused any trouble before, but it is tenacious when a food source presents itself.