Xenia Questions

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mkizla, Sep 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Hey guys, I today bought a xenia coral. It came on a piece of cement looking small circle disk, and there it was the xenia corals attatched. Anyway I put it in my tank, and the xenia looks all crumpled up and stuff, is he dying?

Also what can i do about this cement circle disk platform? It dosnt really match my rocks?

2. Click Here!

3. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

The disk will get covered by coralline pretty quickly. My xenia, just picked it up about a week ago, crumpled and looked wrinkled for less than a day. It's normal. It will definitely open up. Just remember that they do not need super intense lighting.

4. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

so they are pretty much stuck to the disk forever? Do they move around or anything?

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I agree xenia will take a little bit to acclimate to your tank and lighting. It also grows like a weed and will overgrow the disk really fast. There's not too much you can do about the frag disks, thats just how most coral comes.

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

You could try to remove it from the disk but its just un-needed stress. They wont move.

7. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

You can scrape them off of the disk and rubberband them to another rock, you can cut the disk and stuff it into a crevace.....They will spread to cover the disk eventually.

8. Click Here!

9. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

agree- Its likly some type of frag plug. Xenia is a pretty hardy coral. They don't need intence light as Whippy mentioned. You will also want to watch your temperature.. Xenia does not like high temps. It will look like it is melting if the temp gets too high. keep it around 78/79 and you will be fine. Good Luck!

10. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

I would not try to move it.. IMO I'd leave it go. too much strees.. Place the Disc next to another rock.. Before long you will see the Xenia grab on to the new rock and begin to spread.

11. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

78/79? uh oh, my tank stays rarly 79, but mostly 80-82, and on very very hot days 83. Am I doomed?

12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Just keep an eye on it and maybe keep it lower in the tank to avoid high light AND higher temps.