Xenia question

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by hottielover14, Jul 1, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

;D 8)

I think i'm gonna get some Xenia from my local FS or on ebay but i'm not really sure about there care. Are they easy to propegate. Are they hard to take care of. Could one of u guys tell me more about them.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

They are great starter soft corals. The micro algea from cleaning yur glass will feed them fine and I don't specically or target feed them. They are aggressive colonizers. Propogation and care are very easy.

4. hottielover14

how do I propogate them.

5. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Propogating them is just as simple as cutting off a chunk and glueing it down. They will eventually become little nuicanses. If you want something that takes over, get them. I've got the pulsing kind and they're taking over.

6. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

www.garf.org ;)

they sell stuff to propogate xenias and on there website (which is kinda confusing last time I checked!) they said that shipping the xenias was veyr hard and they spent hundreds of dollars trying to get on to there store alive... you should read up on it... it was very interesting!

7. hottielover14

can they spread out of control and how do u glue them on.

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Yes they can spread way out of control. The best way to eliminate them spreading too much is to try and find a piece of rock that has no other rock touching it. attach it to this rock and trim it often. Attaching is simple. If the frag comes attached to a small piece od rock you can use epoxy to glue it to another rock. Or you can stick it in a hole and it will attack on it's own. Finally you can use netting (Garf recommends wedding Vail material) and secure it under the Vail with an elastic.

J

10. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

I actually bought GARF's dvd on propagating xenia. They made it look so simple. They put them on small pieces of rock and wrap the bridal veil over it and secure with a rubber band just like Jason said. I will be doing mine soon as they are going crazy!

11. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Of course when I got mine it moved on its own to the largest rock in my tank.

12. hottielover14

what kind of glue do u use.