Xenia pulsing coral not pulsing??

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by BMClark05, Sep 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BMClark05

BMClark05 Astrea Snail

I turned in my anemone today like most of the peolpe on here said i should and ended up getting some store credit. I was looking at the coral and the only things that really caught my eye was frog spawn and the xenias. After debating some time i ended up getting the xenias. I was pretty excited to get them home and when i did i put the bag it the tank for like twenty mins like i was told a the LFS. Anyways twenty mins up and i stick them in and i figured they were doing anything bc i had just put them in. Now its been about three hours and i stuck them in a well lit area. Now my question is why wont they pulse?? Thanks for all the help

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

They pulse under optimal conditions, or conditions that they consider optimal (if that makes sense). If they are happy, they pulse. Mine pulsed until I put them in a holding tank while I changed my tank over. Then they stopped pulsing. Then they died. But, death aside, they were not happy campers. Kind of tweeky that way. Give it time. I'm sure they will be active in a few days when they fully acclimate to your tank.

1 person likes this.
  4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

It could take several days before they are happy enough to pulse since you just put them in your tank. If it was me I would not worry about them for a day or two.

1 person likes this.
  5. BMClark05

BMClark05 Astrea Snail

Thanks. i hope they dont die. They pulse alittle just not like they were at the LFS. Which is why i was a bit worried.

6. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

They do and they don't. When I bought mine they weren't pulsing at the store, but when I put them in my tank they went crazy and have been pulsing crazily ever since. Just give it a couple days. Most of the Xenia I've seen in most stores don't pulse.

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

No, no, no.....they will adjust fine I am sure. They just have to get used to a new set of parameters. Mine were in a holding tank with nothing but a little flow and a heater. No skimming, no nothin', no choice. Xenia are good to have in a tank. Mine have been the first one's to start down the dreaded path of death when something goes haywire or out of balance. When they start to pulse, wait a few days, make sure they adjust and slowly raise your dKH to around 12. They like it there. Just pay att'n to your Ca and Mg when you do that.

8. Click Here!

9. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

whats your salin? the white pom pom zenia. are often collected from the red sea, not saying yours is wild caught cause thats proly not the case but the mother colony somewere down the line proly was, red sea has a higher salinity than most reefs.

ive personally noticed my zenia slowing down if the salin gets low, and they were not pulsing at all at the lfs whos tank runs at 1.023-1.024 i run my tank at 1.026 and they pulse like mad.

now im not saying salin has anything to do with zenia pulsing but it seemed to have a small effect on my zenia. and the short pom pom zenia seem to pulse better in a slower flow.

10. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

yeah mine are the same way, some day they pulse like crazy and other days they seem lazy and just hang out.

11. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I noticed that the zenia doesn't pulse as much or at all when you have really heavy water movement I think they only pulse when the water flow is less. That is just what I have observed anyway.

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I have seen the same thing.