xenia out of control

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by nemo79, Jul 2, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I purchased 3 frags of pumping xenia about 8 mnths ago. Well they have split, and split and are taking over the tank...what do I do?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Prune it and trade/sell it. Once that stuff starts spreading, there's really no stopping it.

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Razors work wonders... :)
    Seriously, that's what I did. I razored off all the Xenia I didn't want and then moved it (the rock) to a less light intensive area so it would grow slower.

Jim

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

What you want is a sharp exacto knife...prune away...try to get all of base, or it will quickly grow back and you will be doing it all over again. (I also keep small net nearby to catch all the pieces that will just migrate and grow elsewhere.) :p

Good Luck

6. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

You can tear it too. Pisses it off more and 'demotes' spreading unlike a blade where its a nice clean line.

7. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

yeah i just rip it off with pliers an move it or give it away.some shops will buy the frags cause it does'nt ship well and its a coral better bought locally

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I 2nd that !!! That stuff is more like a weed than a coral.::) I Just cant get rid of it. I cut it off and it grows back in no time. I wish I never put it in my tank.
    :mad:

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I hear ya. I once had that same problem with anthellia but a good zap from a loose powercord in the sump took care of that problem (and created many more as you can imagine).

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

When I had it in my 55 I put it on a rock that was seperated from all the other and the xenia couldn't touch any glass and it stayed only on that piece of rock. If you let it touch anything else it will attach to it and spread.

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

sharp kitchen scissors work best IMO, I bought a pair just for that kind of purposes. I picke dup 2 pair for like $4 at wally world and they are razor sharp and a heck of a lot easier to handle then a razor blade or exacto knife.