xenia melting???

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by RemickJ, Dec 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

From the looks of the pics your xenia did what mine did, but mine were worse.. give them time, they'll bounce back. Nitrates, yeah people have success with those levels, but at zero, if something bad did happen the chance of it spiking over 20 is slimmer than if they are already at 5-20, that's my opinion. Like I said there really is no reason for them to be that high if you are not overstocked and overfeeding.

2. Click Here!

3. Newbeme

Newbeme Plankton

Same thing just happened to me. On Thursday I put in two new Koralia 3 pumps in my 75g. Every thing looked fine, until the next morning. That's when my xenia did the same as yours. Now, a few days later they are looking a lot better. Finicky things.

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

i'd love my nitrates to be at 5ppm - mine are always 10-20. I don't beleive Nitrates to be toxic at such low levels!

Not to long ago my Xenia started 'melting' so to say. I ultimately left it alone and it stopped and has carried on growing like a weed since.

5. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Yep they did it the next morning too.. they're just "shocked". Like I said they're resilient, and like weeds. It racked my nerves too, and if you look you'll see a similar post of mine a few weeks ago. Like someone told me, Coral have bad days, too! Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I hear ya ,it racks my nerves also ,somedays it looks great and other days it looks like it wants to keal over. I think sometimes the fish are peeing on it when I'm not looking.

1 person likes this.
  7. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Hey!
    One of the most important micro elements for Xenia is iodine. Normally, good salt provides more than enough of that element! You could take a sample of your water to your LFS and ask them to test for iodine levels! 5.0 ppm for nitrates is not bad! Depending on biotope some reef's can stand up to 10ppm. Moreover, Xenia is one of the genus of corals known to thrive in nutrient rich environments!

8. Click Here!

9. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks yeah its been tought to see if they are doing better. The looked better today however I did not have movement in the tanl for a while so they were spreadout a bit. I'll keep watching but I have my money on them just adjusting to the new current.

10. captbill

captbill Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have tons of flow and it seemed they did not like alot of it. So I pointed the korillas a little diff and all good now. Groing like weeds.

Attached Files:

11. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I have spoken to people about Zenia and seen really nice Zenia and tanks that Zenia just dies in . Here is my opinion take it for what it is worth I am not claiming to be an expert. I have noticed that Zenia does not do well in tanks that have pristine conditions. I have noticed however that Zenia does really well in tanks that have lets say Algae issues or nutrient issues I am not trying to say anything negative that is something that I have gathered on my own.

12. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Oh I forgot Zenia definitely Does better in Low Flow Conditions. Especially if you want it to pulse.