Xenia is wilted ... Weird

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jdameli1, Oct 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

My Xenia is wilted this morning,

For some reason i suck at Xenia keeping

Thinking I should do a wc

Params are decent .. Any suggestions

Sg 1.026
    Ph 8
    Alk 11
    Ca 460
    Mg1300
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates 0 ( this has to be false I have some hair algae)
    Phos .25

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318955291.504841.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. saltysupply

saltysupply 3reef Sponsor

try a water change, make sure you have a good amount of flow, they also like dirty water

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

xenia is one of those weird corals, it can thrive uncontrollably in some systems and other can't keep it. I had some that did great and then one day just began dissolving. My params were all in check, it just withered away. But I have pom pom xenia and I can't stop it from growing in my tank, just one of those things I guess.

your levels look fine, I have heard xenia actually liked "dirtier" water too. One last thing is that xenia is very resilient, even though it might appear to be dead, it can come back.

5. chelltom

chelltom Skunk Shrimp

My xenia grows like weeds I have to throw some out once a week may want to lower salinity I lknow someone who swears by 1.023 _ 4 his corals look great also once when mine looked a little shabby I doses with a small capful of sailferts all in one and they became a jungle

6. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

I had a Xenia "jungle" in my last tank, but in my present one, it will not thrive. There may be nothing to this at all, but my last tank always had a little nitrates, and my present one never has any. Maybe they have to have a little nitrates? One thing that is important to Xenia health is proper Iodine levels, but that still hasn't helped mine now. I love Xenia, and wish there was a middle of the road somewhere but I'm thinking you either can't grow them at all, or they'll take over your aquarium.

7. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

From my experience I believe that Xenia, zooanthids and mushrooms really benefit from elevated Iodine levels in the aquariums (arround .06ppm) although some may disagree. I have found that elevated Iodine causes greater polyp extension and better colour. These observations are also noted in Reef Aquarium Vol2. If you add Iodine be sure to test for it on a regular basis!

8. Click Here!

9. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

:) Yeah, I guess you didn't read the post right above yours.....;)

Anyway, yeah, Iodine is important, but that's not all that's important for some softies.