Xenia Frags

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by rexman, Jan 9, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rexman

rexman Plankton

I recently purchased a 7 pound pice of live rock from my LFS to place in my refugium. It had 2 small pieces of Xenia on it. I placed a lose piece of rubble next to each colony to get a frag for my show tank.. One has bonded to both the rubble and the main rock. All that is attached to the main rock is probably 10% of the foot (it has basically moved off of the main rock on to the piece of rubble).

If I remove the Xenia fom the main rock, could it damage the colony by pulling away the small amount still bonded to the main rock??

Thanks for any advice!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hmmm...well usually xenias r tough little buggers so if ur sure that u wont tear it off from the rubble it should be fine...it is very hard to attach it...lol its very light so the water movement makes it move around..since it is only 10% u can proably even cut that with a knife so u dont risk pulling it off...

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

It should be fine...

You can always wait another week or so and it will probably complete the move itself.

Soft corals have been known to release toxins when damaged so it may be best to wait for it to go on its own ;D

They are tough to kill ;)

5. rexman

rexman Plankton

I got the frag into my show tank. I had to cut a VERY small piece off to get the colony loose.

They are doing great!!

Thanks for the input!

6. 00nothing

00nothing Astrea Snail

hmmm when i move xenia i grab the foot and yank it off and when i am re-attaching it i just stab a toothpick through it works great for me the attach to things really quickly but dont sem to bond to things super hard like a mushroom does

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale