Urgent Xenia dying?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by sollie7, Feb 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

ok thanks sorry about not having the other params im hoping to get the test kits for them soon

2. Click Here!

3. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

and if it makes you feel any better you might end up like me and ripping it all out anyways because it was becoming a nusance...over running my tank. none the less an angry coral or dying coral can release some real nasty stuff into the water so be careful to monitor it and water params

4. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

LOL - sorry to laugh at was a mess for you -- but this is the reality of Xenia. there are certian colony's that thrive and become a night mare of a weed and others that melt away and return.

I beleive pulsing Xenia are more royal in nature and not such a weed. If you grow pulsing xenia you more than likely have very stable PH and a healthy tank -- if you grow regular xenia that thrives you probably have a dirty tank I would be you have had your rounds with algae....by grow I mean thrive. Either can survive, thriving is a different story. -- all unqualified opinion, yes...

5. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

The best description I have heard for Xenia is "moody" :cheesy:

It fits, most of the time mine looks great, then invariably, I will hear my wife or daughter say "the xenia look like crap ..." and it used to hurt my feelings a little bit until I figured out that they are indeed "moody".

They kinda do what they do and that's about it.
    I have heard some people can't keep them in their tank and others can't kill them .... go figure.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just make sure your tank parameters are good and stable ... I bet they'll be fine.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I had pulsing. Was kind of pinkish. It grew almost as fast as anthelia. I ended up nuking some rock to keep it away. Thought it was great just like coralline... for a little while :)

to clarify, it's not the xenia that releases toxins... it's if it starts invading a coral that does respond that way (zoa's for example). sure it's what you meant billy, just clarifying for others.

That fits my experience as well.

7. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

yeah but also if it died and was breaking down in the tank un noticed is more what i was getting at... i would think it would be a similar effect to a dead anemone

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

not really. A dead and decaying Xenia isn't really much of a concern (unless you're talking biblical proportions of Xenia die-off). Plenty of experiences on 3reef of Xenia decaying to nothing with not a blip in parameters. There is an extremely small amount of flesh to decay.

I would not worry, at all, about a decaying/dying/dead xenia releasing anything that will be a problem.

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

yes, an anemone can release toxins when dying, stressed, etc.

Xenia does not (not that I have ever heard anyway).

11. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

well thats good i hope they dont die though

12. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Yes, many (many) 3reefers have posted of ways to kill the Xenia ! Kalk paste comes to mind, boiling water, going jason vorhees…this list goes on – from reading the posts no one has had any tank issues when the Xenia died off.