Xenia. do they all "pulse"?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by REDMANS CUBE, Sep 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

i am have been looking around for some pulsing xenia at my lfs but cant find n e. i have come across a few that are similiar but the corals hands are MUCH larger and they dont pulse. also the color of the coral is darker. do all xenia pulse? i want to get this coral because i like the look of it swaying in the water and the closing of its hands. and from what ive heard they grow quickly. would they be able to be housed in a 29 biocube? stock lights 72 watts total + moon light.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

no all xenias do not pulse, i have also heard of people buying pulsing xenias to bring them home and have them not pulse in there tanks, i think there very wierd corals...

as long as your params are good you should be fine, they are very tollerable of different conditions

4. IndianRiverRob

IndianRiverRob Astrea Snail

+1 on not pulsing, I fragged some from my friends that didn't pulse and got it in my tank and started pulsing, then i moved it to another spot in my tank and stoped pulsing

Rob

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

That sounds like you are describing anthelia. Anthelia doesn't pulse.

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Xenia is a tweeky coral, for sure, for sure. The healthiest specimen I have had is the pulsating variety. It's in great shape as we speak (type). This frag doesn't care where it's at. It's just glad to be alive.

7. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

The little Xenia stalk I bought didn't pulse at the store, but went crazy when I put it in my tank. It pulsed good under two 65 watt Power Compact lights and then it freaked out under my Metal Halide.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Carbonate and Ca levels will influence their pulsing.. Still no real known reason why the pulse . Many feel they may be feeding on microscopic particles in the water ? I have never seen any eat either so that may be as good a guess as any . But I do know flows also along with the Carbonates and Ca. increase or decrease their pulsing behavior .

10. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

i have so much xenia, i'm going to have to start cutting it up and tossing it

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Looking at it from a biologist's perspective, I would say feeding in a heartbeat.

12. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I got 3 frags of xenia, 2 weeks ago from Homegrown and two of the groups pulse but on the 3rd(smallest) frag, only one polyp pulses. it's like a baby and there are about 6 polyps. they're so sweet.......