xenia disapeared

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Infantry1327, May 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

So yesterday my tank was doing perfectly, and now I get home from work today and my pulsating xenia is gone. There is nothing but a small stub left. It looks like it melted.

My frog spawn is also starting to loose color and my clown fish look like they are starting to come down with ich. I tested my water and my Ph-8.4 Nitrite-0.25 Nitrate-5.0 and Ammonia-0

My rocks are now covered in green algae and my armour of god polips look like they are starting to loose a little color and curl up. I got 7 heads a week ago and now I have 9 heads. I spot feed them mysis everyday

My leather coral is growing like a weed and looks great.

The only thing I have done to my tank recently was add a rock with some polyps on it. It also had 5 majano anemones on it witch I killed with Aptasia X. It did well on the majano but the xenia was only a few inches from where I killed the majuno. so could the aptasia x of caused all this? Luckily all my fish are still alive, I just did a 10% water change, fed all my fish and surviving coral, and added amquel plus nitrate remover. I only did a half dose. I am going to give it awhile and test the water again. and do a full spectrum test.

But what made my xenia disapear? this morning when I fed my fish it was doing well and pulsing like it always does. I guess I am lucky I only had a small colonie.

2. Click Here!

3. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

Just tested my water again, and Nitrates and nitrites are back at 0

4. greeny122229

greeny122229 Bristle Worm

most of mmy xenias melted when i added mh - they were really healthy, bought somemore recently - they were finetill i moved my rocks at which point they melted away to nothng over a few days (£60 of xenias gone:( ) dunno why, guessing something to do with my high nitrates or phosphates - but don't know

i used to use app x when i had aptasia and never seemed to do any harm to my xenias

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Sometimes you never know. I have tried to keep Xenia for the last year. It always gets very unhappy and melts.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

xenia likes nutrient rich water meaning fairly dirty. When I had my 55 gallon tank with a substandard skimmer and over feeding my xenia went nuts and got out of control. Now that I have my 150 with a decent skimmer and a more strict feeding regimine it won't grow at all.

7. greeny122229

greeny122229 Bristle Worm

i had great success under around 100 watt of t5's - they grew like mad - but seem to hate my MH's

8. Click Here!

9. Cat4wisson

Cat4wisson Feather Duster

I have also had issues with xenia, from reading many posts a tank either grows them or it doesn't, very finicky coral. Right now I have 3 small colonies that seem to be doing ok, but they haven't grown it quite some time, but they are still pulsing like crazy.

As for Aptasia X I have used it from time to time and haven't noticed any issues.

10. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

Well I am running 4x 39w t-5 bulbs, but my tank is a 40 Breeder so maybe it is to much light for them or the nitrate spike took it out.

This morning when I woke up, one of my clowns was dead. It is a shame, he was my fav of the two. I believe the ich took him out, but the other one seems to be getting better. So I will give it a week and get her another mate.

When I went to bed last night my all my levels where good again and there was another nitrate and nitrite spike. So I did a 25% water change and now everything seems to be doing ok. Any ideas what could of caused these sudden spikes.

11. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

My xenia are extremely picky on tank placement. Too little or too much water movement and they would start to melt. They seem to stress out easy around other corals too, I am sure it depends on the other coral type.

I have mine under 520 watts of PC lighting about midway up. It seems like they grow and die in spurts.

12. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

I just got some the other day. And One day later, it already started sprouting new branches. It was wild. But it also seems to be shrinking. And its a brown xenia, But pulses still?

Its under a 4 bulb T-5 fixture.