Xenia Crash....

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Birdlady, Feb 9, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

My beautiful Xenia colony crashed over this past week. All of it....
    My LFS was waiting for frags...I told him about the crash and he asked me if I had been running carbon. I had. He said that was probably why it crashed and that if you do use carbon with xenia, not for more than 1 or 2 days.

Has anyone else heard this? and why would this be?

2. Click Here!

3. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    i didnt know that carbon would zap xenia like that. im sorry for the crash but karma for teaching me something about the next coral im getting. i hope it helps... :'(

4. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=birdlady link=board=Coral;num=1108010780;start=0#0 date=02/09/05 at 23:46:20]My beautiful Xenia colony crashed over this past week.  All of it....
    My LFS was waiting for frags...I told him about the crash and he asked me if I had been running carbon.  I had.  He said that was probably why it crashed and that if you do use carbon with xenia, not for more than 1 or 2 days.

Has anyone else heard this?  and why would this be?[/quote]

Ive always run carbon on my tank, ive had xenia for years....if you have a high iodine level for them the carbon may reduce it but i highly doubt it would crash. Xenia are rather criptic to us still, very few books know much of thier natural needs.....no one even knows why some pump, there are hypothesis but no widley accepted theories. I've had crashes before but never to any explanation.....sorry. :huh:

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=birdlady link=board=Coral;num=1108010780;start=0#0 date=02/09/05 at 23:46:20]My beautiful Xenia colony crashed over this past week.  All of it....
    My LFS was waiting for frags...I told him about the crash and he asked me if I had been running carbon.  I had.  He said that was probably why it crashed and that if you do use carbon with xenia, not for more than 1 or 2 days.

Has anyone else heard this?  and why would this be?[/quote]
    Sometimes xenia colonies get too large and they do crash but I've never heard of it being caused by running carbon. Nothing else going on in the tank that might have caused it?

6. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    i checked it out and my bosses books and they say that "Xenia is sensitive addition of carbon" but i mean everyones tanks are diff.

7. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Im so sorry BL, I love my little (2 small clumps) Xenia!! I wish I could help out somehow.....Carbon bad ummmm.... I don't use it anymore . I thought the Vortex XL diatom filter did the same job, but in a few hours rather than letting the carbon sit for weeks... is that right?

again, Im sorry you lost your little ones....I'd ride up and give you one of mine, and a hug if I could!

David (Scoffer)

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hmm well...i remember when i put in some green ex and the xenia looked really bad...somehow xenias always bounce back, best of luck!

10. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I am looking for the article in one of my books that says about this. It was in reef notes by Julian Sprung. Remember last month when I had problems with my Xenia after I added Chemipure. My Xenia turned dark brown and shriveled up really bad and almost died. I removed the chemi-pure and did some water changes and added some nutrients to the water and they bounced back. Sorry you lost yours. If you were close to me I would give you a rock with 5 or 6 stalks.

I will look for the article BL

Jay

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

WOW! Thanks for all the replies!!!! ;D

Lots of differing ideas out there...hmmmmm.... :p

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

usually if u add anything in the water that the xenia is not used to it will turn that dark purple color, but dont worry usually they dont die...in fact i have never had a xenia or any coral die on me...INCLUDING MY ACROS 1 year strong under pc lightS!