X-10 automation and reef tanks

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by skennelly, Oct 18, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

Does anybody use X-10 to control their tank? I am checking out the firecracker interface on X-10.com and I am considering buying it to control powerheads like a wave maker and also my lights.

If I do this I am going to build my own software for it.

Anybody have any good experience with this type of thing with aquariums.

Firecracker interface -> 39.99
    4 Modules -> @13.99 each

www.x-10.com

Any input will be appreciated......I am going to decide today if I buy it or not.

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Gresham should have his two cent on this but I have heard from just about everyone that uses them that X-10 are a totally PITA. No first hand experience though.

4. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

Covey,
    Thanks for the input. I put a system on order from ActiveHome Pro, but after placing the order I did some more reading and everything I read said ActiveHome Pro was the worst system out there and the companies customer service is terrible also. So I immediately cancelled the order.

So after some reading I am shying away from the idea of an x10 run tank. Right now my biggest delimma is setting up a wave maker system for a reasonable price. I don't have the money for Tunze equipment so I will have to use Maxi Jets. As for the controller......I want a Red Sea Wave Maker, but it is still a little more than I would like to spend.

However, because the firecracker is so cheap I might buy it and test it out just for the hell of it and if it works out then great!

Sean