WWYD - LFS or Online?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by hanginten, May 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hanginten

hanginten Astrea Snail

Was looking to buy a new powerhead and my favorite LFS has the one i want in stock, problem is its about $35-40 more than any other online source.
    So what whould you do?

This particular store gets most of my business, I guess either way they will be getting the money from me. I'd just rather spend that money on a new coral or something ...

2. Click Here!

3. mscottring

mscottring Fire Shrimp

They might be willing to bargain a little bit. But stuff is almost always cheaper on the net. I split up my buys, supporting my LFS and getting some deals on the internet.

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Be honest with your LFS. Tell them you can get the product they're selling for $X.XX at XX.com. If they want your business badly enough, they'll lower their price or maybe even meet that internet price. Times are tough. They should appreciate you giving them first right of refusal.

5. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

I think its mostly livestock-LFS and equipment-online imho. But see if they are willing to match the price.

6. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

my LFS has matched the online price many times on dry goods for me. Give them a chance first.

7. z.vernon

z.vernon Bristle Worm

I usually purchase my stuff online, because the only good LFS in my town went under when petco came into town. the closest good LFS is 1.5 hours away from me.

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I am usually split. I love supporting the local guy, but the difference is to much. I will normally buy hardware online, and get all my livestock local.

10. hanginten

hanginten Astrea Snail

Great, thanks for the replies. I'll see if they can go any lower on the powerhead. 8)

11. duhlsusional

duhlsusional Flamingo Tongue

see here is the problem. It may be cheaper online but you don't see what exactly you're getting. (damages etc.) Your LFS gives you the products and they let you see it and talk about how it works. But if you want to go cheaper then online is best.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have bought items offline that arrived defective either due to the manufacture or because of shipping. The problem was alleviated immediately at no cost to me. If you deal with a reputable online seller, there should be a guarantee of some sort. I prefer to buy livestock from my lfs as I know what I am getting, but I usually buy equipment, salt, elements, etc. offline.