wth is wrong with my shrimp?!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by NanoMano, Nov 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Sorry to here that man.:/ it could be alot of things. These animals go through alot of stress ocean-->plane--->wholesaler--->lfs-->quarantine-->dt

It could have just been a bad animal. I would check voltage and copper. What are the params?

2. Click Here!

3. dimpthepimp

dimpthepimp Bristle Worm

ya i just picked up a cleaner shrimp too. he seams to be doing fine he does like to swim upside down to grab flakes at the top...maybe tweaking off that good meth..lol:confused:

4. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

Parameters are
    Salinity 1.025
    ph 8.2
    Calcium 380 (little bit low)
    Alk 12
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrate 0ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Phosphates 0ppm

I dont know how to test copper. Is that "yet another kit" that I need to buy? And I will be testing for any voltage tonight. its just weird he was fine all this time and then boom. dead.

5. scubaSAMa&p

scubaSAMa&p Plankton

Ive had bad experiences with shrimp too and probably don't plan on getting one ever again.. seems they're really sensitive to parameter swings especially after molting. I think it has something to do with a softer exoskeleton. My peppermint shrimp, pepe, was acting the same way as u described the night before he croked. All my parameters were fine also just my ph was a bit on the low side at 7.8. I've also been told that shrimp don't have a very long life span but wondering if thats true or if those facts are based on that aquarist's personal experiences.

6. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

yeah mine just molted recently too, and I dont know if maybe something in the water did get to him. the thing that chokes me is if they dont have a long life span, why are they so expensive? its a joke.

7. dimpthepimp

dimpthepimp Bristle Worm

i just lost two peppermint shrimp a while ago. i just figured they did'nt live long. so i figured id try a cleaner, not sure if they live longer?

8. Click Here!

9. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

I dont know I know a buddy on a forum who has had one for 1 year now. but his tank is immaculate. lol. I dunno.. no more shrimp for me until I get more experienced I guess. its a bummer though cause they are actually interesting little guys, buddying up with fish and cleaning them and what not. my clown fish is just bummed you can tell.

10. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I don't think you should give up on the shrimp. Have you treated ich or used any copper medications? Copper is highly toxic to inverts. If there's no copper or voltage I say you just bought a bad shrimp.

11. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

Actually yes i treated ich a while back with herbtana, hut its all natural and safe or so they say

12. scubaSAMa&p

scubaSAMa&p Plankton

the only shrimp I have in my tank is a pistol and hes been in there a month now and seems to be doing excellent and recently paired with my ywg