WTH is This?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by ALW, Jan 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Does the top of its shell contain 8 plates? If so, it is a chiton.
    No shell, Stomatella
    Shell looks like a hat raising up to a point(chinese hat-Limpet)

2. Click Here!

3. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Here is what mine looks like.
    [​IMG]

It is lacking the separate snail-like mouth of a stomatella. It also doesn't have the 8 plates of a Chiton. It is a little hairy.

1 person likes this.
  4. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

I took a closer look and I think this is it.

I am guessing from the non alarm that these are good grazers to have in the tank?

Thanks again everyone.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Yeah, I paid good money to add them to my tank. They died after about 5 or 6 months - I'm guessing specialized diet.

After my cycle I had a little bit of hair algae. These guys tore through it. They'd lay on a patch for a day and then move on leaving clean rock behind. Never had any hair algae since either... (knock on wood).

There are some bad varieties (most are fine) but I couldn't help identify which are which though.

Mine never burrowed and rarely even got off the rock. The 8 plate shell back is what to look for - as far as I know, all chitons have an 8 plate shell

Here is a picture of the same one I showed earlier from the top. You can see the plates.

[​IMG]

6. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

Thanks to all. I have finally captured this creature on the camera. There he was - right in front of my face. So, anyone have a positive ID?

[​IMG]

7. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Definately a Chiton. Good things to have, clean algae like it's nobody's business. Some allow moss or "fuzz" to grow on them for camoflauge, hence the name "fuzzy chiton" as on reef cleaners.. I think they look cooler without it...good freebie to have!

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I don't know. Not real good at snail IDs. The overall shape looks Chiton to me, but those don't look like plates to me. Do they look like plates to you in "real life"? Compare to the pic I showed above - my chitons plates were very distinct. Like an armadillo.

10. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

It's a chiton. Some species have longer (or more exposed) plates while the plates of some are almost totally hidden, making them look more like worms. Same with the girdle (the outer ring). Some are very thin, making the chiton look like it's almost completely covered with plates, while some have fairly thick girdles that may appear smooth, bumpy, or even hairy. Yours is in between on the amount of plate area that is visible, but it's definitely a chiton.

Cheers,

Don