WTF Mushroom doing something HELP!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by TinFury, Jul 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

I came home from work the other day to find this in my tank. What has happened to my mushroom. There were two of them there and now if you look in the middle you can see one behind the brown whatever it is. Nothing else in the tank changed. Only these two mushrooms. I turned on a powerhead and it blew away the brown stuff. HAS ANYONE SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE? The mushrooms are now completely gone. Here is a high rez image and a video of the gunk in action.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It somehow got injured and a bacterial infection ate the whole mushroom. The next time you see slime like that on a mushroom, do a dip with iodine.

5. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Did you see the youtube thing? See how that moves? :| WTF!

6. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Thats the mushroom dance! Very strange. I would suck that thing out with a turkey baster. Looks like a mutant blob. Does it move when there is no flow?

7. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Did the zoas possibly mess with it? I have no idea, I'm just throwing out thoughts.

8. Click Here!

9. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

looks like a goner but not sure sometime certain corals shrivel up and then spring back but never seen a mushroom do that I would cut my losses and cut it free to try to stop infection if there is any. good luck

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

That's not the mushroom. That's a bacteria bloom and billions of pieces of what used to be your mushroom.

11. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

just looks like what normally happens when a mushroom dies, it just turns to mush

12. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Whippy nope the zoas and the shroom have been there together growing forever.