Wrasse with no sandbed.

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Av8Bluewater, Apr 28, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Anyone have a wrasse with no sand?
    Thinking my sand harbors some nastiness so thinking about pulling it out. I have a melanuras.
    I guess I could keep a small pan of sand for him but I have seen other comments from people have don't have sand with wrasses..

2. Click Here!

3. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

some wrasse don't even need sand. my pink streak will find a lil hole, shove himself in it and make a slime cacoon around him to keep inverts and other things away. I know a few other wrasse do that so you may have to do some research. I'll make this a point too, do your research before you buy a fish that way you can accommodate it's needs instead of rushing and probably maki ng things worse.

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

It's a matter of genus, whether sand is a requirement or not. Halichoeres do require it, however, and keeping one without such is not advised for the long term health of the fish. But yes, a small container with sand can be a good sand-bed alternative.

zesty, DSC reef and chris adams like this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Av8, your avatar is frigging hilarious! Sorry, I know it's not any help to your question but it made me laugh.

Av8Bluewater and zesty like this.
  6. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I used Tupperware with sand in my QT for bluestar. One thing I would do different is not use clear as it took the wrasse a bit to figure out it could not go in from side :)

Av8Bluewater likes this.
  7. Grog

Grog Astrea Snail

Would they be happy with crushed coral and would they find a tupperware of sand amongst the crushed coral? Or would the sharp edges eventually lead to their demise?

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Crushed coral is not desirable; it often leads to abrasions on the fish and therefore infection sites. Sand amongst crushed corals might work, but I wouldn't bet on it.

10. Grog

Grog Astrea Snail

Thanks..... looks like another reason to change over to sand.

Corailline likes this.