wrasse makes my tank look horrible

Discussion in 'Sand' started by broc1093, Dec 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. broc1093

broc1093 Astrea Snail

So recently I purchased a dragon wrasse from my LFS because he seemed very healthy and happy and was pretty cool looking. I have a all fish 65gallon tank with 50lbs of live rock. So far its just the dragon wrasse, dogface puffer and niger trigger. I have crushed coral as the sand for the tank, and ever since I brought him home he has made my tank look horrible. He is really healthy and I knew he was a wrasse that likes to lay under the crushed coral but I never would of guessed he likes to constantly stir it up and play in it. He has made all my rocks and even fish covered in dust. I dont want to get rid of him I was just wondering is there a way to eliminate the dust. Should I just vacuum the crushed coral till there is no dust ? Thanks much

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

first of all crushed coral isnt a good substrate, since I believe that nitrates can build up in it. I would replace it with live sand if you could, but if not then you'll either have to deal with the behavior or take the wrasse out

4. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

wrasse will do the same thing in live sand anyway if not worse do to finer grains.

As to CC building more nitrates then LS I have my doubts there.

My yellow does the lay in the CC bit but luckily doesn't make too much of a mess, just have to take turkey baster and dust off rocks/corals now and then.

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

6. scvc

scvc Bristle Worm

I had a dragon wrasse we named Home Depot. Never knew where anything would be in the tank the next day. LOL::)

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Your wrasse is doing what Dragon Wrasses do. Should have researched it a little more. Also, the CC is not suitable for a wrasse because it's more difficult for them to burrow into it than sand.

8. Click Here!

9. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

I might be wrong on the CC and nitrates but I think I've heard of some people saying that before on 3reef

10. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

The CC is more coarse and will trap more detritis.

11. broc1093

broc1093 Astrea Snail

What's a good sand that settles fast without a mess

12. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

yeah thats what i thought so the detritus builds up