wp10 or wp25

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by jborlace, May 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a 40 breeder. Local guy told me the wp25 would be to much for my tank. To go with a wp10. Any thoughts ? Couldn't I just keep the 25 turned down ?

2. Click Here!

3. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

IMO it's always better to run something at half speed or less then maxing it out running it full speed.

4. jborlace

I'm the same way. I figured get the wp25 and run slower. Might last longer

5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I have one wp25 and one koralia 750 in my 40b mixed reef and it works pretty well.If I were to be shopping now I think I would go with the dual controller package from Fish Street with wp25s.The new dual controller they are selling controls two pumps which can be set to work alternately and power is adjustable from 30-100% for each pump seperately.

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

With the older single pump cotroller which I have,the flow rate can only be reduced in W1 mode.Most people prefer to use the ELSE mode.In this setting the pump randomly changes flow rate and it can be a bit strong.

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I have both, wp10 will not be enough for a 40 br; wp25 would be good. I find that after a month or 2 and the crud builds up, it will slow them down until you clean them. Not enough to make them useless, but you will notice the flow not being as forceful.

I would suggest more than one pump though, not necessarily another wp25, but something. With one, you are going to have dead spots and the one I had (with one) was right under the pump.

8. Click Here!

9. jborlace

I have a couple of other powerheads I can use if I have to. May put my Korila nano in there with it.

10. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Good call.

11. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

you can get just the controller if you get a second wp25. i think it is 35 with the power cord.

a big difference for me with the wp10 and wp 25 is the night sensor. wp10 does not have one.

12. jborlace

I ordered the wp25 from amazon. $65