WOW....uh..WOW...plate coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Vkkesu, Feb 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vkkesu

Vkkesu Spaghetti Worm

This is the same post as Saltcity, because I wanted everyone to know this!

I purchased a really cool green plate coral from AW about 3 days ago. It was really big...5-6 inches across maybe. I'd read that they inflate and take up a lot of room. I read, keep it in low flow. (finding out that is hard to find in my tank). The first night it seemed to eat a bit (mouth was open a bit but all of a sudden it would look "tensed up" and I realized that it's mouth would be closed.....ok...it's caught something to eat....I get it. A bit of mysis shrimp and it ate it too. Cleaners learned that if that turkey baster came down that it wasn't for them and to stay away !

The next morning it seemed to have moved over an inch or so ?? I'd read where they were slow but was capable of moving....ok.:-/...It did. So we moved it over yesterday to what I felt was a lower flow. Ended up putting on powerhead on random so it was low to med off and on and thought we'd watch it and see how it did.

This morning.....WOW ! WOW ! Inflated means THE ENTIRE THING IS INFLATED!:eek: It's probably 8" across. I'm thinkin...ok...count the fish ! All are acounted for but talk about a double take this am. I got pictures and will post when I figure out how. ::)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

sounds like it was a good move. Can't wait for that pic!

4. Vkkesu

Vkkesu Spaghetti Worm

He stay fully inflated for about 3 hours while the light was on then slowly down to where the tentacles only were inflated for the remainder of the day. Is this normal? Do they normally stay fully inflated all day? I'm sure he's getting used to the tank still because he's so new, but was curious.

5. Vkkesu

Vkkesu Spaghetti Worm

Not sure if picture showed up where it was supposed to but I tried. Bubba is much larger in real life than he looks in photos.

Attached Files:

6. sterling

sterling Peppermint Shrimp

Thats a sweet piece of plate coral you got there. Looks like he/shes enjoying her home.
    Great job

7. Vkkesu

Vkkesu Spaghetti Worm

I just have to be careful in feeding the opposite side of the tank so the cleaner shrimp don't mess with it. I have to feed big chunks to cleaners when I feed corals to keep them busy.