WOW.... Possible tank crack need help asap

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Anthos312, Aug 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I am pissed off right now. I dont know WHO did it or what happened.... but i have 2 tear drop sized cracks in the very front center of my tank. It looks like a water drop with cracks inside of it. Like someone hit it with something that has a pointy end. What do i do?

I cannot possibly go buy a tank right now and empty it and do everything else to get it to work.

I dont get paid for another week and a half and done have enough money to upgrade till i get paid. When i do i can go out and buy a larger tank+stand

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Rubbermaid container or the appropriate type of buckets (walmart). You may even have to just get a cheap 20 or 10 gallon at petco until you can get something better.

As long as you can maintain the temperature and provide enough flow you can keep everything alive. Most things can go several days without light so I would not be too concerned about that.

Look to local reefing clubs as well to help you out if you can. The LFS might help as well if you can put some of the stuff in their tanks.

4. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

bust out the CC.. 210gal, just sayin, its an emergency.

5. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I was just reading that if its something small like this i can just watch and keep an eye on it until i can truly do something about it. I raised my light a few inches to reduce any temperature related issues. If i can hold off like a week i will buy a new larger tank.

I would really prefer not to move anything right now, i have a lot of livestock and with my work schedule this will be so difficult.

6. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

That sucks.
    Would it be worth seeing if a glass repair place could do anything? Dont they have like resin to inject into car windscreens to stop cracks spreading?
    Not sure how that would go against the pressure from the water but maybe someone else will know?
    Good luck!

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Once you added the images to the original post, I saw it looks pretty darn small. I have to wonder how it got that way and how compromised the integrity of the tank is.

It would be a very tough call for me, and make me pretty uneasy, but hey you can only do what you can. I would however have some containers and salt made up should worse come to worse.

Good luck

8. Click Here!

9. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I have no clue about the resin stuff. I am just going to try and keep an eye on it and when i get paid upgrade. I just started work and one week in, small family company and managers r down to earth and cool so i can ask if they can cut me my first weeks check asap?

I will measure it and watch closely over the next week. Pretty unbelievable that this is happening to a 1 year old tank...... Thats if it is just some random cracking. If someone hit it, thats understandable.

When i can upgrade i think im going to go at least 75+ gallons (So i can get larger fish, tangs for example, depending on whats available).

10. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Yea Coralline. It is TINY, but still makes me wonder how much damage it can do. I guess this is just a good excuse for an upgrade. I already have some salt ready on the side, I will pickup more (how long is salt good for in buckets?). I will also pickup a large tote of some sort, or rubbermaid container tomorrow.

11. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

My corals have gone 11 days without light! Just keep them in water and you should be fine! :)

12. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

On the up side, looks like your tank upgrade might be coming a little early! haha! :) Yeahhh! :) :) :)