Would you recommend galaxea?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by banthonyb71, Apr 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I have 46b with standard 4x39w T5 HO fixture.
    Was wondering what your opinions are on a galaxea?

popular coral?
    fast growing? (tank take over)'
    too aggressive for peaceful corals?
    can they survive off and show nice coloration off T5's? (thrive best of halides)
    Other thoughts or concerns?

2. Click Here!

3. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

Galaxea require lots of room because they will send out stinging tentacles and kill other corals within 1-2ft!! I wouldn't do it in your tank because it may be one of the only corals that you can keep once it were to get big... even in VERY large tanks, they are avoided, or placed with caution so as not to kill neighboring corals.

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

5. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I have one in my 55g and its a nice coral to watch but placement is key. They do send out long sweepers, I havent had it kill any corals. The sweepers will extend depending on the amount of flow they are in. The sweepers on mine only extend 3-4" at the longest. They will grow rather quick and they are easy to frag. T5 lights are fine for them. If you have a good spot to place them away from other corals I would recommend them.

6. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

I have never seen mine produce long sweepers and i've had it for nearly a year (not saying yours wone, maybe mine is defective :p). I keep mine in pretty strong flow about half way up in the tank with 6 54w t5 as lighting.
    care for them is easy. i keep corals away form mine just incase i get a sweeper one day but mine does not grow all that fast.

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you don't have anything threatening it in the vicinity? Put a coral next to it and you should see sweepers.

8. Click Here!

9. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I went ahead and grabbed it.

Attached Files:

10. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

I have one in my 75, it has trippled in size over the last year, it's now a 5"x6" oval and looks cool but the sweepers are at least 6 inches long. I had to move it to the back of my tank because it killed a scroll coral frag I had that was about 6 inches away. One night I took a look at the tank and there were like 100 sweepers attached to the scroll coral, the next day it had lots of white spots, within a few days it was dead. I like the bright color of the one I have but I'm still looking to get rid of it.