Would This Work

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nemo79, Jul 12, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

If I Replaced My Hood With One Of Those All Glass Hoods And Bought 1 Long Fluorescent Light Fixtures That Holds Multiple Bulbs And I Went With The 50/50's Would This Be Good Enough For Some Soft Corals. Remember I Already Know I Don't Want A Huge Reef, I Just Want A Few Corals As I Am Really Into The Fish. The Longer Bulbs Are Made In Higher Wattage. I Am Not Interested In The T-5's Or Metal Halides As I Am Not Permitted To Hang Anything From The Ceilings In My Building (it's Also Concrete). I'm Trying To Figure Out A Way Without Spending A Fortune Or Eliminating Hanging Lights.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I don't think your lighting would be strong enough for soft corals. You are looking at probably a watt per gallon or a little over that...not enough wattage(par) for successful keeping of soft corals. You may try placing them high up in your tank though with limited success.

5. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

You don't have to hang T5s from the ceiling. I don't even have my MH fixture hanging, it's on the legs that came with it. Thusfar I am having no problems with heat. The tank stays between 78-80. Believe me, you say now that you only want a "few" corals. But once you pop, you just can't stop. Might as well invest in T5s now, if you are dead set on not getting MH or simply can't, then paying money for regular fluorescent or PCs and needing to upgrade down the road.